|
The Jubilee Hall officially opened on 29 November, 1935, with a large gathering of locals. Reverend Mr Akers, in his speech on the night, said he "trusted that the people of the district would avail themselves of the excellent facilities now provided for their social welfare." While the initial plan was to have a place for pictures and theatre, it quickly became a popular gathering spot for the community.
|
Memorial Hall TimelineFebruary 1935 Purchase of section in Willoughby Street
29 November 1935 Opening of Jubilee Hall 1937 Halcombe School and District 60th Jubilee 1941 Plunket formed. Clinics held in the Supper Room for two years 1948 Arrangements were started to raise money to purchase the Memorial Hall 3 November 1950 Title of hall transferred to Oroua Council March 1952 Halcombe School 75th Jubilee 600 people partook of a sumptuous luncheon at the hall (two sittings) 8 April 1952 Halcombe Women’s Institute celebrated its 21st birthday in the hall 11 March 1953 Indoor bowls started 1956 Additions were made to the hall to house external public toilets. Oroua County Council gave 500 pounds. Voluntary labour April 1959 Football club built showers and changing rooms behind the hall 30 April 1964 Unable to muster a hall committee and a motion was passed to give all books, monies and keys to the Council on 1st June 2 May 1964 Special meeting to decide the future of hall. Biggest turnout ever and a new committee was formed. 1 September 1964 Golden Kiwi grant for repairs, painting and repiling of hall 1965 Wall between supper room and hall removed and wooden dividers made. 1970 Metal car park became responsibility of hall 1972 Hall kitchen extended and modernised. 1974 Exterior of hall painted 1976 Interior of hall painted 1978 Stage front removed to allow storage, hall floor sanded and resealed by community, attic above storeroom made June 1979 Sewerage connection made to hall 1981 Hall reroofed with long run iron by community, in very high winds! 1981 Health Inspector proposed the addition of men’s toilets and second woman’s toilet in the hall. September 1990 Hall connected to Rural Water Scheme. 3 July 1996 Possibility of hall being shifted to school grounds floated. There was much opposition and was rejected. June 2007 Meeting to discuss the future of the hall. Nov 2008 AGM held in hall with a plan for continued community support of hall April 2009 Hall Committee of 22 was formed July 2013 Halcombe Community Committee was formed joining the Combined Sports Grounds Committee and Hall Committee. 2025 The hall continues to be run by the Halcombe Districts Community Group preserving the vision of Mrs Amelia Managh |
|
Amelia Henrietta Managh (née Schwass)
Born in Upper Moutere, Nelson area, in 1861. She married Charles Managh in 1880, and they lived on a large farm at Halcombe. The couple raised 18 children - six sons and twelve daughters. Charles, her husband, died aged 65 after a long illness. Amelia continued to run the farm while raising the family. Amelia was active in community affairs, as well as being a staunch suffragette – advocating for, and supporting women’s rights. There is a suggestion that Amelia’s daughter’s upcoming wedding needing a suitable venue may have been a factor in having the hall built. Her daughter Lilian was married on July 31, 1936. Other family celebrations were held in the hall, including Amelia’s 80 and 85th birthdays. Amelia lived until she was 97 (1958) and continued to contribute to her community throughout her life. |
|
Mrs Managh’s vision in creating the hall enabled the local women to have a gathering place, and it quickly became a focal point for their activities. The Halcombe Women's Institute was very active and records show they held their Annual Meeting in the Jubilee Hall as early as mid-March 1936, and continued to use the hall for meetings and activities throughout the years. In those days, rural life could be isolating, especially for women. The hall provided a place to connect, share, learn, and to build their skills, while supporting each other in the everyday joys and challenges of life.
The legacy of these early groups still resonates today, reminding us of the strong women who helped build our community, and the importance of continuing to support each other. A testament to the visionary foresight of Amelia Managh. |
Changes Over the YearsThe hall essentially remains as it was built in 1935. The plaster mouldings, wood panelling and floors have been preserved. Two additions have been made, one in 1956 along the side of the hall to house public toilets (which were not accessible from the hall) and in 1972 the hall kitchen was extended to the rear of the building. The hall has seen several renovations and modernisations throughout its history, showing an ongoing commitment to maintaining the hall's physical presence and ensuring it remains a valuable asset for our community.
Challenge Accepted!The ebb and flow of hall use has reflected changes in community needs, and the availability of personnel to advocate and promote for the hall. Occasionally, the hall has fallen on hard times with a lack of people prepared to be on the committee, or the use of the hall has dropped dramatically. However, the threat of losing the hall has always seen a revival of community spirit and support for the hall.
|
|
For generations, the hall has been a cornerstone in the lives of the community's children and young adults. Beyond its role as a general gathering place, the hall has consistently provided a dedicated space for youth activities and development. The stage witnessed countless school end-of-year productions, offering a platform for students to showcase their talents to proud families and community members. The whole school would march down the road to the hall for practises, until the school hall was built in the 1990s.
A kindergarten was run in the hall in the 1950s, a precursor to the Playcentre. Cubs, Scouts, Brownies and Guides were also well attended in the early years, and the hall's adaptable space provided an indoor venue for sports, with badminton and indoor bowls being consistent favourites. |